5 ways to be more Leo this festival season

CREDIT JIM MICHELL

If you’ve not experienced The Wyldes yet, you’re missing out on a little piece of fairytale. Home to LeoPallooza, and host to bands, weddings and other events, the guys behind the destination venue are adopting several measures to minimize their festival footprint and here’s where they are so far:

  • a 0% landfill policy with 90% of waste recycled, while the remaining 10% is converted into fuel pellets.
  • ban on single use plastic drinking cups, embrasing reusable ‘Stack Cups’
  • bamboo straws instead of plastic.
  • The main stage is made of recycled steel and reclaimed wood. The second stage is made from recycled timber from a barn in Okehampton.
  • They partner with our friend and fellow eco-activist Martin Dorey, creator of the 2 Minute Beach Clean- by collecting up any abandoned tents to turn into bags by sustainable local clothing company RootedOcean.
  • They encourage car-sharing – 4 or more in the car and you can park for free!).

 

But there’s still room for improvement – and here’s where us revellers come in. Here’s our guide to what to pack and how to party the plastic-free way – saving single use items going to landfill, and space in your rucksack:

  1. wear what you already own. Fast fashion (and more on that in another post) is bad for so many reasons, so reimaging that cowboy hat with a bandana (that you can also use as a napkin, face cloth – ooh the possibilities are endless! If you REALLY need a new outfit, buy second hand – charity shops have really cottoned (ha) on and many prepare a ‘festival’ rail sorting out sweet pieces that will complete your outfit – or borrow from friends.
  2. ditch the single use packaging: Bring a spork, your ReFill Jedz bottle, and pack a Mors Bag for any shopping;
  3. Bring your own snacks for the win – boost your energy (= more dancing) and avoid those food lines! Yes, that does sound a bit naff, but trust us.
  4. stay clean! A tricky one since we’d rather watch the bands that queue for a cold shower, right? All you need is a flannel/ bandana/ bamboo wipe and a bowl of warm water and you’ll be squeaky clean in 2 minutes!

Leave a Reply

Close Menu